amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion 80 ns Static Column vs 60 ns page mode zips

Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion This forum is dedicated to the discussion and resolution of issues related to Classic and Next Generation Amiga hardware. Got a problem with a piece of hardware? Click to speak.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Motormouth
Technoid
Points: 7,748, Level: 58 Points: 7,748, Level: 58 Points: 7,748, Level: 58
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Default 80 ns Static Column vs 60 ns page mode zips

80 ns Static Column (SC) vs 60 ns page mode (PM) zips which is actually faster in the amiga 3000?

Is the ramsey fast enough to take advantage of 60 ns? would the 60ns speed out pace the Static Column advantages

I have a3000 that I am rebuilding (with a stock 68030 25mhz)
I have 8 megs of 80 ns SC zips (16 chips) and 16 megs of 60 ns PM zips (32 chips) on the shelve. which would be better for the system?
Motormouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
matt3k
Cult Member
Points: 11,108, Level: 69 Points: 11,108, Level: 69 Points: 11,108, Level: 69
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Default Re: 80 ns Static Column vs 60 ns page mode zips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormouth View Post
80 ns Static Column (SC) vs 60 ns page mode (PM) zips which is actually faster in the amiga 3000?

Is the ramsey fast enough to take advantage of 60 ns? would the 60ns speed out pace the Static Column advantages

I have a3000 that I am rebuilding (with a stock 68030 25mhz)
I have 8 megs of 80 ns SC zips (16 chips) and 16 megs of 60 ns PM zips (32 chips) on the shelve. which would be better for the system?

Hey Motor,

Go with the 16 mb of pm zips. The more memory far outweights potential benefit of SC.

In the distant past, I was ONLY able to reliably use the burst ramsey setting with 60 ns SC all from the same manufacturer. It is illusive, and in testing you will most likely crash and crash often. It is a neat trick to run the ramsey settings, but I wouldn't waste your time. I'm not sure but I think you need static column for the ramsey settings... But it has been 17+ years and I can't remember... time flies...

16 MB will allow you to surf the web and use a nic with ram to spare. 8 Megs will be to close to the limit once you start to push usage of the 3k.

Best option, find an accelerator with local ram and a scsi controller. Then you won't worry about motherboard memory. Someone in Hungary is selling a nice looking Mercury, it only is missing the scsi controller, but it will make a monumental difference in performance...

Good luck,

Matt

Last edited by matt3k; 04-17-2012 at 09:46 PM..
matt3k is offline   Reply With Quote